For years it's been Windows, Windows, Windows with some DOS and other terminal based programs thrown into the mix. Early on, there was a smattering of very simple UNIX programming, This week, I've started using the Linux distribution Ubuntu as part of the course work I'm doing in the DigIn program. The first task was to boot the operating system to my PC. This was going to be a live session that was resident in memory only. I backed up my hard drive anyway, just in case.
My primary computer is a Toshiba Satellite M-245 laptop. The first time I tried to start Ubuntu desktop using the bootable CD I made it failed and the resident Windows OS started up instead. It must be the device boot order. I restarted the machine and changed the boot order having the CD be first. Windows continued to open. I ran the disc in a desktop and Ubuntu opened up. In looking around, I found it very accessible and easy to navigate. It was what I expected a GUI interface that was attractive and usable. During that initial visit to Ubuntu, I also opened the terminal app and ran some commands to get a feel for the programming.
The variety of tutorials is beneficial to my learning style. I started with the Introduction to Linux videos and watched them straight through. It gave me an idea of what to expect. Next I worked with the "15 commands" http://endor.hsutx.edu/cmdintro.htm while sitting in front of the terminal just to see how each behaved. I also worked with 'Learning the Shell" (http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php in the same way. I used the printed material as a guide book. Putting that away I "played in the black" as my friend calls working from a prompt. One problem was I couldn't get back to the prompt from manual until I discovered "q". Each had tutorial had merit because the basics were repeated but in a slightly different way.
While working in the Ubuntu live session the laptop was powered up using the battery. by the time I got back to the laptop it was off, its battery drained. I plugged in the power cord, put in the bootable disc for Ubuntu, the computer came on and booted to the splash screen for Ubuntu. It seems that the battery power was holding some information somewhere and when it drained it lost that information and was able to follow the chosen boot order. Last chance fix for a laptop, pull the battery for a few minutes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment