It was a week of configuring and text editors. No spiffy interface here it was all from the prompt, working in the black. The first was VI. It had a great tutorial. I was able to go through it, do the exercises then create and save some files on my own. It is a modal program, you can be in either the command mode or the insert mode. It is easy to forget to set the mode. When it didn't work I knew why. The other text editor was a program named Nano. It was very simple to use. The control commands are given at the bottom. It was reminiscent of the first word processor I used, Word-Star.
I am getting deeper into it. I have been empowered with commands. It is easy to forget where I am. Type in $ pwd at the prompt and I know what directory I'm in. To find out what is in that directory I type $ ls. $ find is handy for locating a missing file. In VI I created a file saved it and the using $ cp with a new name, moved it ($ mv) and then removed it ($rm).
I tried to write my own little program, attempting to write a shortcut to close down the server using an alias line.alias shut='sudo shutdown -P nowIt didn't work for one of two reasons, I think. The command shut is not already a bash command and only bash commands work. My second theory is that you can't use sudo commands. I did try using the word shut as a "ls" command. There was no having that.Based on that I believe you need an existing command.
Well sudo shutdown!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment