Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Age of Machines

This week, command line to GUI plus I got to bring others along. The first task was to install Ubuntu Desktop onto Virtual Machine. The installation went well, without a hitch. My laptop, which is my primary machine, is able to support having both the server and desktop open at the same time. I guess the added memory, bringing the machine up to 2 Gigs was worth it. I think it's why I've had so few issues loading software.

The other software downloads went well. IceWM and Webmin both went in without a problem. There isn't much to say about IceWM, it’s a simple desktop, no bells, no whistles. I do like Webmin for adding users. My guess is that the other Webmin module will also make tasks easier. We will see! There was a small problem; I couldn't get Firefox to install into IceWM. The site couldn't be found. I ran update again and there it was. All is fine.

This week I found out how to add groups and users in UNIX. It was all very simple like making a cake from a mix, just follow directions. There was one point when adding someone from the desktop terminal where the new user was not in any groups. I forgot to check a box in the group. It was easily fixed.

An update on getting my "demo" machine, a second computer to use as a LAMP server, together. After some burps, I finally have a machine I can use for the project. It is a P-4 that I found on Craig's List. Originally I was going to use a P-II, which just wouldn't cut it. I then found a P-4 at a garage sale for what it costs for two to go to a movie in a big city. It needed to be reconfigured – rebuilt which was taking more time then I had hence the new computer. I've attempted to install Ubuntu desktop but had some problems. We'll see what the future holds.

No comments: